Thursday, September 24, 2009

Intense Reduction


Day 5 before midnight! Woot!

I did this reduction piece in graphite powder. So I sprinkled the powder over the page and smeared it with a cheese cloth/my fingers. Then I proceeded to erase all the light areas and blended/added graphite for the darkest areas (I learned this technique from a wonderful drawing instructor I once had, Frank Haddock).

This is a very serious statue in my house. . . the light was hitting his intense glare quite nicely this afternoon :) I really like doing reductions - they just make a lot of sense to me in terms of light. It also gets you to look at negative spaces and different shapes in the object.

Well I've done my 5 creative things this week! I will continue my next 5 on Sunday. Have a wonderful weekend everyone and thanks for checking out my blog!

xo Monica

3 comments:

  1. Cool Monica! I really like this! Good job for doing 5 daily creations, you are amazing! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Anna, I am very impressed that you have the energy and ability to produce such diverse creations every day. You have certainly captured a serious and intense look in this piece and an interesting method, like working in reverse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You continually amaze me with your talent and ability. Your work is so diverse and unique...aka...you're rad! -Jenna-

    ReplyDelete